So you have a Fashion Blog, you would like to start wearing Designer Clothes for your ” Outfit of the Day ” Photo Shoot and wandering if it is possible to borrow the clothes from the Designers. The answer is yes, but obviously it is not an easy task to achieve unless you can prove that you have followers and a Professional Look that matches the Designer Style. Publicity for Fashion lines is managed either by their internal PR staff or by External PR Agencies.
Returning samples quickly after the shoots and in good order is very important.Â Where do you start ? First you need to identify the Look you want to wear.
IDENTIFY THE LOOK YOU WANT TO WEAR:
When choosing the Look, make sure to go on STYLE.COM, this is the Online Showroom for any Important Fashion Brand. From catwalk to sidewalk, backstage to after-party, Style.com employs breakthrough technology to deliver Fashion Shows and Designers Looks.
Go to Style.com and open the Fashion Shows Menu
Select a Season and a CollectionÂ : Ready-to-wear, Couture, Resort, Pre-fall, Menswear.
Select the DesignerÂ
Take note of the Look you are interested, in my example is the Bluemarine LOOK 24.
This is what you will need to request to the Bluemarine Press Office, make sure to take a snap shot of the look,Â so that you know exactly the accessories and the Shoes included within the Look.
IDENTIFYÂ THE DESIGNER’S PRESS OFFICEÂ
Some designers handle their Requests internally, so you will need to email the PR manager or director, but most hire an agency to handle their press requests. In order to identify who is the PR to contact you need to play a little Detective, but with these little hints you should be able to find your way to the PR OfficesÂ :
- For all French Designers – Mode a Paris
- For Italian Designers – Camera della Moda
- For English Designers – London Fashion week
- For US Designers – Â Mercedes Benz Fashion week
You need to send your Requests to the Designer’s Press Office. Please that they receive many requests, from Â famous magazines around the world, TV Shows, Cinema, reference materials, periodocals, newletters, blogs from all over the world.
Unless you are really worth the effort, you don’t stand any chance that they will send you the clothes for a Fashion shoot. Make sure to include all relevant Information about yourself and your Blog.
- Your Name in Full â€“ Your Profile ( with Picture)
- A short into about the Blog, the main topics covered.
- OriginalityÂ : Your Unique Selling Propositions
- Your StatsÂ : Page Rank, Social News Success
- Average comments per post, facebook Shares,Twitter followers, Youtube suscribers, etcâ€¦
- You may include some examples of Designers look Coverage.
- Email Address
- Remember thatÂ this is business, and that Brands send samples to Blogs capable to drive Sales or increase exposure for the client.
- Consider at least 100 unique visit daily a good target for a Blog, 10.000 Viewers per month.
- Donâ€™t Lie about your stats, there are plenty of ways to Assest your Blog, from Technorati, to Alexa, Google Adplanner, Google Page rank.
ESTABLISH CONNECTIONS EARLY
Donâ€™t wait until the very last minute, you must build relationship with brands throughout the year, so that when you will need to send a request, you will be already known by the PR and i twill make the entire process easier.Â Perhaps following the brands and their PR on Twitter could be already a good start.
WORKING WITH PR AGENCIES – ETIQUETTE
A blogger who is a pleasure to work with will be remebered. You hav ebeen energetic and happy to be working with them. You remembered to say thanks, you might also mention that you hope to get a chance to work together again.Â It’s also thoughtful to follow up with a written note.
WORKING WITH SHOWROOMS
If you live in a City where there are Designer’s Showroom, set an appointment with the Showroom Manager or PR departement. Introduce yourself when you come in, so they know who you are. Â
- Have the Paperwork ready and organized.
- Make sure you get Â areceipt or list of the wardrobe you pulled for the project.
- Make sure to have the correct informations for the credits to add into your Photos.
- Inspect all apparel and accessories before the wardrobe vendor releases the wardrobe, you don’t want to bring any damaged wardrobe to set or to be responsible for it afterwords.
- Set up an appointment to return the wardrobe and make sure it is returned in time.
- Discuss if they want the items dry-cleaned before you return them.
- The Rolling Rack is the most basic piece of equipment used by the stylist, invest in one, so that the clothes that you hav eborrowed will remain unwrinkled, you will be able to place boxes with accessories on the bottom rails.
- The Steamer is an other piece of equipment that will help you look very Professional in all your Photo Shootings. I would advice you to invest in Â areal professional one.
This article has been a joy to write and share with you. I hope it’s been beneficial to you learning more about how to Prop for Fashion Designer’s clothes. Have fun in the studio or on location.
Leave us a comment: Have you already worked with Showroom, department Store ” Studio services” or PR agencies? Â Have you already borrowed any Â Designer’s Clothes Â ? Share with us your experience! Write us a comment.